6 Ways to Avoid Becoming a Cybersecurity Statistic on Cyber Monday
November 28, 2022
Does your email inbox look something like this? 1 Day Only! LAST CHANCE! It’s a Cyber Monday miracle!
Adobe Analytics forecasts shoppers will spend $34.8 billion during 2022’s Cyber Week.
While most of the emails showing up in your inbox will be legitimate, cyber criminals only need you to click on one bad link to create havoc.
Here are 6 simple ways to avoid becoming a Cyber Monday victim:
- Check the web address of any website you are on. Secure web addresses begin with “HTTPS” and not just “HTTP”.
- Never put personal or credit card information in forms on non-secure web pages. Even more important, NEVER save your credit card information after checkout.
- Stop ignoring that software update. Make sure you have antivirus software installed on your computer or mobile device, and that it is up to date.
- Be wary of the Wifi. In a survey by the Identity Theft Resource Center, 53% of respondents reported they used public Wifi at least one a week, yet half said they use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Make sure you’re always using two-factor authentication when dealing with sensitive information.
- Password Protection. Hopefully you are not still using the same password you made in college but if you are it’s time to get a password manager. Always use a different password for every app and website you use. It might seem like a lot of work at the time, but you’ll be thankful you did it, if that password if ever compromised.
- Avoid clicking on any links in your email or to your phone. Go straight to the website instead. If the deal in the email is legitimate, the same deal should be offered on the website.
OnDefend empowers the information security industry through its proprietary technological innovations and private-labeled security force. By extending technical capabilities with solutions such as BlindSPOT along with real-time support to assist with service delivery bandwidth, OnDefend enables partners to meet market demand, scale their offering and secure our world.